I have an existing brick built chimney, will I need to have a liner installed for a wood burner?
This will depend on the age of the house, the condition of the chimney and whether or not it has been clay or pumice lined previously.

Sooty & Sweep are HETAS registered installers and have the working experience to be able to answer this question for you when we carry out a site survey.  Please contact us directly if you would like to arrange this.

We would love a wood burning stove in our property but do not have a chimney, is this still possible?
Yes! Sooty & Sweep offer the highest quality Rigid Chimney Systems which enable a wood burning stove to be situated almost anywhere and in any building.  We would still need to carry out a site survey before you booked your fitting.

I have chosen my wood burning stove and flue pipe from another company, can you install it for me?
At this time we do not supply stoves, but do fit stoves that have already been purchased by our customers.

What size and output of stove do I need?
It is important to try and get the most appropriate output for the area you are trying to heat.  If you have the stove in a fireplace it is important to ensure it fits into your fireplace opening with sufficient clearance.  Many websites have online calculators which can be a helpful guide.  Alternatively you can ask us to come in to do a site survey before you purchase your stove, enabling us to help you make the right choice.

Factors that should be taken into account when looking to install a stove are, the insulation value of the walls, whether the windows are double or single glazed and if you have high or vaulted ceilings.  Having stairs, archways or door openings in your room will also affect the distribution of heat.

It really is best to have a survey completed by a HETAS registered installer before you spend money on a stove that may not be right for your heating requirements.

Do I require planning permission to have a wood burning or Multifuel stove installed?
If you have an existing chimney stack with liner and use a suitably qualified HETAS installer, such as ourselves, you will not need planning permission.

Planning permission may be required if building a new chimney.  Check with your local authority before any work is carried out.

What Chimney Liner size should I choose?
The size needed will depend on the make and model of your chosen stove.  Flue sizes are usually listed on websites and can be provided by the supplier.

I have a Wood burning/Multifuel stove, what is the best fuel to burn on it?
This is one of the most common problems experienced by owners of wood burning and multifuel stoves.  We recommend 25% or less moisture in your logs to get sufficient heat and to cut down on pollutants that can damage your appliance and flue.

Should I buy a Wood Burning or Multifuel Stove?
This really depends on personal choice, many customers like to have the option to burn both smokeless fuel and logs and therefore choose a multifuel burner.  There isn’t much difference between the two other than one comes with a grate and ashpan.  If you would like more advice please do not hesitate contacting us.

Should I buy a Cast Iron or Steel stove?
Cast Iron will generally hold its heat longer than steel, but will take a longer time to heat up, it also needs to be seasoned within the first week of use to avoid cracking.  Cast Iron stoves are not cheap and cheap versions should be avoided as they tend to crack.  Cast Iron stoves are moulded and can be decorated whereas steel stoves are always plain.

Do I require a non combustible Hearth?
Yes, a hearth is always required when installing a wood or multifuel stove.  A suitable non combustible hearth of the right size and specification is required to protect any combustible material underneath and provide an area to catch any embers or burning fuel that might fall from the fire or stove.  It is also meant to clearly show the area where combustible material such as carpet must not be placed.

Do I require an Air Ventilator to be installed in the room housing my stove?
This will depend on the size of the stove chosen, any stove that produces over 5KW output of heat will need to have an Aircore Ventilator installed in the room to abide by regulations in Approved Document J of the Building Regulations for England & Wales.  This Ventilator will provide a permanent open air supply for the stove.

However, more modern versions no longer require ventilation.

Will I need to install a Carbon Monoxide Detector with my new stove?
From 1st October 2010 new legislation was brought in as part of building regulations requiring that a Carbon Monoxide Detector is installed within the room for all new or replacement solid fuel appliances.

It is always better to have a carbon monoxide detector near your appliances whether it is law or not.

How often do I need to sweep my chimney?
If burning dry seasoned or kiln dried wood you should sweep your chimney at least once a year and twice a year if burning solid mineral fuel (anthracite etc).


Interested in buying a stove or having a stove installed? Sooty and Sweeps supply and install Online Doctor Prescription Phentermine in Buy Adipex Cheap Online and Cheapest Phentermine Pills.